Friday, October 23, 2009

Cubicles

I work in a cubicle world.

I sometimes wonder about the person who invented cubicles. That person must have been an eavesdropper because cubicles create an illusion of privacy, but actually provide nothing by way of soundproofing.

In my cubicle world, I have heard some funny things, especially from a particularly vociferous middle-aged Lebanese woman. She shares a cubicle wall with me, and therefore, I have learned quite a bit about her:


  • She has three children, two boys and one girl.
  • She picks up food on her way home from work a couple of times a week.
  • She hates doing laundry.
  • One of her sons injured his knee and has been going to physical therapy for a couple of months.
  • Her daughter is an impulsive buyer.
For example, I overheard the following (one side of this woman's phone conversation with her daughter about her recent trip to the mall):


What? You already bought it?


[pause]

But Lena, the dog doesn’t need clothes, you know that!


[pause]


How much is this going to cost me?


[pause, sigh]


Okay, well next time call me before you buy it, alright?!



I imagine that the outfit purchased was something along these lines:







Anyway, this woman can be very protective. She also does not mince words. I heard the following conversation between her and 2 other people in the office:



Coworker 1: Would you like to try some of this cactus?

Her: Do I want to eat what?

Coworker 1: Cactus.

Her: Cactus?? Eckh, just that word is enough to tear my stomach in two.

Coworker 1: Would you like some Majed?

Majed: No, thank you.

Her: Don’t eat in front of him, he’s fasting! It's Ramadan! Don’t you know, in the Middle East, you could be arrested for that!

Coworker 1: It's a good thing we're not in the Middle East, isn't it?

Her: Go away, now, before I punish you!




Who would have thought that cubicles could be so entertaining?

3 comments:

  1. HA! The dog! Well, for me the cubicle factor would be entertaining as well, but it would drive me nuts not to be able to have private conversation. For some reason I can't seem to talk normally r just "be myself" when I know my conversation on the phone can be overheard.
    I like your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Who buys clothes for their dogs?? And who in the world eats cactus?? I have to admit, cubicles need to be way more private. I learned way too much about my co-workers at work. Should have asked for my own office...

    ReplyDelete

Followers