Monday, October 19, 2009

Green

I love getting good deals. One good deal I got at Kohl’s was a lime-green polo shirt for $2.50. Shortly after I purchased that shirt, I wore it to Disneyland. After a little while in the park, I used the restroom. While I was in the restroom, I moved my jacket from my waist to my backpack. I thought I had tied it securely, but apparently I had not.

As I ran from the restroom area to join my husband Danny and the rest of our group, I heard some shouting behind me. Danny started pointing behind me. “Green shirt!” a man was shouting, “GREEN SHIRT!” My jacket had fallen off my backpack, and this man, in an attempt to be helpful, had picked up my jacket off the ground and tried to get my attention the only way he could: by yelling out my most defining characteristic at that moment—a green shirt.

I turned around and walked back toward the restrooms, my face as red as my shirt was green. Danny couldn't help but laugh as I walked sheepishly back to the group. He called me a mint julep. Unfortunately, at that time I was too mortified to see the humor in his comment. My day at Disneyland had been slightly tainted.


***


Fast forward about one year, and I finally dare to wear my green shirt again. It's a beautiful summer day; my mood matches the brightness of my shirt. I've been working out, I'm in good shape, and I'm feeling good.


Enter Majed.



Majed is my coworker. He is a nice, older gentleman, and an Iraqi Kurd. His interactions with me are generally either (1) super polite and courteous, or (2) super sarcastic (if he's joking around). But on the day I'm wearing my green shirt, Majed's humor takes a turn for the inexplicable ...


Majed passes my cubicle and stops to say hi. His eyes widen and he looks like he's trying to keep from laughing. I ask, "What?" He says, "That's a nice shirt." I said, "Yes, it's a bright color, isn't it?" I briefly explain to him what happened at Disneyland (Green shirt, GREEN SHIRT!!) And he says, "It's nice." "What?" I ask. "No, it's nice," he replies. Then he chuckles as he walks back to his cubicle.

What's that about? I wrote Danny an e-mail about what happened and he tried to console me. He likes the shirt. He's sweet.

Plus, why should I care what Majed thinks anyway?!? This, coming from a man who wears a uniform of a blue shirt and gray pants (of various shades) everyday. Of course he would think my shirt was *ahem* "nice."

Besides, when you're getting a good deal, you can't be picky; but more on that later.



18 November 2009--

Finally, here is the picture of the infamous green shirt:




Notice the wrinkles in the fabric ... due to an extended period of being crumpled in the back of my closet.  Unfortunately, this photo doesn't do justice to the intense green-ness of this shirt.


8 comments:

  1. Hey favorite cousin! (Don't tell Andy). I love your blog! You are so funny and I love the stories. Keep them coming! And I definitely want to see you in the green shirt before you move. Hey, if you guys aren't doing anything this weekend, give us a call. I don't think we have plans yet. So if you want to play games (like Puerto Rico), let us know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. This is Michelle. Drew is not the one who wants to see you in the green shirt! Hahaha. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's especially ironic is that, as I remember it, Brenda was already feeling a little self-conscious about the green shirt before we arrived at Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it because you remind me of a mint Julep ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda! Yea! Welcome to the Blog World! Great post... I wanna see the green shirt too! Thanks for all of your support on our blog- we love ya! Danna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I am excited about this whole Brenda has a blog thing. Can I read it sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for everyone's comments so far -- it makes me want to blog more!

    And Katie, yes, please read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tainting a day at Disneyland is a crime! I must see said green shirt for myself. I think I will like it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers